I wanted to be continually logged into IRC and also use it as a logging client for message on the #doothings IRC channel.
What better way than to use Raspberry Pi?
- We will use IRSSI, whici is a terminal based IRC client.
- Install it by running
sudo apt-get install irssi
- Also install
sudo apt-get install screen
screenand then press
- Now you have logged-in to the #doothings IRC Channel.
- To Detach from the Client. Press
Ctrl + aand then
- You should be back to the terminal window.
- To rejoin the IRC window run
- To ignore joins / quits / nicks changes on a specific channel.
/ignore -channels #chan1,#chan2,#chan3 * JOINS PARTS QUITS NICKS
- Auto Connect to a Server on startup
/SERVER ADD -auto -network IRCnet irc.freenode.net 6667
- Auto Join to Specificed channels
/CHANNEL ADD -auto #doothings IRCnet
- To Keep logging all these conversations
/SET AUTOLOG ON
- To set Nicks and Real Name etc.
/SET-> This should show all existing configured parameters.To change these just say
/SET param-name valuelike
/SET nick nism-pi
/SAVEto save the entire configuration.All these steps if you think need to be improved, you can send in a pull request here https://github.com/iot-pune/raspberrypi/blob/master/IRC-client.md